Saturday, March 6, 2010

An Oxymoron - "Thin Mints"



The doorbell rings, I can't imagine who could be at the door. I look out the window and can't see anyone at first, and then I glance down and shudder at the sight. It's a Girl Scout. I open the door with trepidation. I haven't mentally prepared for this confrontation. Could it be that time of year again, so soon? How can I handle the pressure? A myriad of thoughts begin competing for supremacy in my brain....

1. I can't say no to a kid. How can I? She's so adorable and she's working so hard.
2. Maybe I'll just buy one box or maybe I'll buy a few and give them to the poor.
3. I should have a couple of boxes, on hand, for my son or guests.
4. Samoa's are like Christmas; they only come once a year.
5. I wonder how many calories are in the WHOLE BOX ?
6. Why can't I ever stop at just one or two cookies?
7. Will the Girl Scout's go out of business if I don't buy?
8. You've worked so hard to lose 135 pounds.
9. Show how strong you are and JUST SAY NO

I see her mother, trying to be inconspicuous, near the driveway and yell, "I want to buy some, I really do but I just lost a lot of weight and I'm afraid." She shakes her head with knowing compassion. Then I looked right into that Scout's eyes and said, "You might not truly understand this until you are much older but I can't just eat a few cookies. I start with one and then glance down and the whole box is gone." She started backing up slowly, looking at her Mom for reassurance that I wasn't a crazy lady. Then I shouted to their departing forms, "Make sure you hit the Ukrainian family across the street, they're all thin!"

There are 15 cookies in a box of Samoa's. A serving size is 2 cookies for 150 calories. The box is 1125 calories.

There are 32 Thin Mints in a box; the serving size is 4 for 160 calories. They usually come in two rows of 16; 640 calories to a row, 1280 calories a box.

Maybe you're a better man than I, Gunga Din, and can eat a serving, and then put them away for another day. I know that I can't. Two years of Pray It Off showed me that to succeed in permanent weight loss, I have to nip the justifications in the bud and just say, no thank you. Even when it's a cute kid, in a green uniform, selling cookies at my front door.

2 comments:

  1. Haha... I start out thinking I'll just eat a couple too, eat the whole sleeve too, and then the next one the next day... My mom's trick was to freeze them, but you probably already know that. I blogged about it too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freezing never worked for me as they taste so good (still frozen) dipped in hot coffee. HA HA

    THANKS for reading and commenting

    ReplyDelete