Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Please Don't Call Me a Pharisee


I want to talk, a little bit, about fasting but I am keeping Matthew 6:16-18 in mind when I do. "And when you fast, be not as the hypocrites (Pharisees), sad. For they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward. But thou, when thou fastest anoint thy head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not to men to fast, but to thy Father who is in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret, will repay thee."

I know it's supposed to be secret, but I have a point I want to make, so I will share with you that I am fasting, each Wednesday, during Lent. There are many different forms of fasting and I am not judging any one of them. What I decided to do, for my fast, was to not eat or drink anything; I just have a little water throughout the day.

I've recently had a full medical check-up and I am thankful to report that there isn't a thing wrong with me! I was deemed healthy enough to fast. I suggest that everyone sees their doctor first.

Before Lent, I decided to look up the Catholic Catechism on fasting. "1430 - Jesus’ call to conversion and penance, like that of the prophets before him, does not aim first at outward works, “sackcloth and ashes,” fasting and mortification, but at the conversion of the heart, interior conversion. Without this, such penances remain sterile and false; however, interior conversion urges expression in visible signs, gestures and works of penance."

I had an epiphany. That's what I had been yearning for, this interior conversion, regarding my relationship with food. I believe that so many of us, who are overweight, have tried to fill the emptiness, that dwelt within us, with chips or ice cream (etc.). Since Pray It Off, I've realized that the void was my yearning for God. His grace is sufficient and more filling than fettucine alfredo!



Even though I run a weight loss group fasting, to me, is not about losing weight. It's about telling food that I see it as a means to live, not a reason to live.

And as I lose my preoccupation with eating, I've replaced it with a focus on God and His will for my life.

With that said, I'm off to anoint my head and wash my face!





Photo:http://darwinstable.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/fasting.jpg
http://lifewithbipolardisorder.blogspot.com/2008/04/word-filled-wednesday-my-grace-is.html

4 comments:

  1. El - this is very good. Makes u think a little harder. Amen, amen - yes, if we have God in our hearts and lives, we have everything, but sometimes we stumble and forget He is there to pick us up and we go for a quick fix, like food. Fasting can be done is so many ways and should always be reminder that we won't die if we miss 1, 2 or even 3 meals (if we are healthy and able to do this); many around the world go for days without very much or sometimes nothing. Why is it we always stop to think about fasting during Lent and not other times throughout the year? We need to think about why we fast and not so much about what we are going to eat next.
    Wonderful, deep article. I loved it, especially just before Holy Week.
    May God allow u to keep up your wonderful work and continue to guide u. Luv ya - my friend. Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about only thinking about fasting during Lent. I plan to continue to think about it. Thank you so much for following the blog and I am praying, earnestly, for you to be well!! Love you Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, this was an awesome post. The line about your preoccupation with eating and replacing it with a focus on God and His will for your life - that is the answer I have been searching for. Now I just need to learn how to make it a reality. I think I will start with tomorrow & make it a fast day, too. Thank you, Sister in Christ. See you tomorrow!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. D - Thank you so much for your comment. I will help ,"make it a reality", in any way I can. I loved it when you called me your "Sister in Christ" - right back atcha!! Love El

    ReplyDelete