Monday, March 8, 2010

"How Long Did It Take Ya?"



Inevitably, when someone hears that I've recently lost over 130 pounds, one of the first questions they ask is, "How long did it take ya?" It presents, as a rather benign inquiry, but it is one that rankles me. It implies a variety of assumptions:

a. If it ain't fast, it ain't valid.
b. If you lost it fast, anyone (I) can lose it fast.
c. How long does one have to "diet" before they can get on with their "real life"? d. If it took you a looooong time, I'm not interested.

The specific answer to that question, is that THIS TIME AROUND (which is MY FINAL TIME AROUND because I FINALLY LEARNED THAT DIETS DON'T WORK) it took me one year to lose 100 pounds; then another six months to lose 30 more pounds; then I hit a six month plateau and now am losing again,having lost four pounds the past two months for a grand total of 134 pounds in Two Years and Two Months.

The way I do answer that question, in reality, is more like this. "It took me a lifetime to learn all the bad habits that attributed to my obesity. It took me a lifetime to realize that only God is a heathlier choice, over Hot Fudge Sundaes and Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips, to help with the stresses of this world. It took me a lifetime to believe that I have to watch what I eat, move more and pray THE REST OF MY LIFE.

So how long did it take me? IT TOOK ME A LIFETIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment