Friday, March 19, 2010

Building The Buffer







I weigh in around 80 people every week and that includes my husband and myself. I have a little "moment" whenever anyone goes into a new "decade", when I stop and make them say, LOUDLY, that they will never be in the previous decade again. For example, someone is at 181 , weighs in and is at 179. They say, "I will NEVER be the 80's again. It is important to stop and recognize the achievement and imprint it in your psyche.

The same holds true at the 100 pound intervals. I have seen a few people in our group, including me, go from the 300's into the 200's. We said, "I will never be in the 300's again!"

More of the group have gone from the 200's into the 100's. They each said, "I will never be in the 200's again." It's not faulty math when I state that it is more than one pound betwen 300 and 299 and 200 and 199. It is one small pound on the scale but it's a giant leap for that psyche I was talking about earlier.

In 1982 I went to The Diet Center for a while and then on Nutrisystems and got to 176 pounds. I lasted at that weight for around five minutes. I never learned WHY I over ate. I never learned WHAT the proper foods were to eat, or HOW I had to exercise to maintain my weight loss. So, now I weigh 203 and I am lower than I have been in 28 years!! I can see 199 on the horizon. NO longer is it a dim and flickering light at the end of the tunnel.

What is important is that even if it takes awhile for me to get to 199, I have built a HUGE BUFFER between me and weighing 300 again; a 97 pound buffer to be exact. I can have a bad day, a bad few days, a bad week, even a bad month and I would be hard pressed to gain 97 pounds.


What I have learned is that the key is to NIP THE "BAD" TIMES IN THE BUD before you chip too much away from that buffer. Give yourself a five pound leeway, so if you want to weigh 170, try to stay between 165 and 170 etc.

The BIG problems occur when we never get back on track and the days, weeks, or one month become MONTHS and soon our buffer is gone for good. Give yourself that bad day, or even a week, if you must, but STOP and get yourself back on track ASAP. Build a buffer and stay below it and tell yourself you'll never go back into the ....300's or the 200's or the whatever's again BUT this time MEAN IT .

Photo http://pleaseenjoy.com/admin/uploadedpics/02.scale.jpg
http://www.925silvercharms.co.uk/ekmps/shops/925silvercharms/images/key.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment