Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"After all... tomorrow is another day." Scarlett O'Hara



My good high school pal, Nancy Robinson, dragged me to my first viewing of Gone With The Wind. No VHS tapes or DVD's back in the 1960's; we saw it on the big, and only, screen at the Heights (Elmira Heights, NY) Theater. I cried like a baby and felt such hope at the last line. "After all.....tomorrow is another day." She'd get Rhett back, but she couldn't think about it today. If she thought about it today she'd go crazy, instead she would think of it tomorrow.

I had a lot of hope for Scarlett, and for myself, back then. I was 14 years old and it was in vast supply. Many will agree that life has a tendency, at times, to use hope as a punching bag. Before Pray it Off, where my weight was concerned, hope had all but disappeared from my life. I didn't believe in myself. I realize now, that hope needs that belief to survive and grow.

How many of us plan our "diets" for tomorrow? I remember SO many Sunday nights where I would have two, inch thick peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as I was starting yet another new diet on Monday, and I had to have one last "treat"!

The diet would last a day, a week; even a year at times, but inevitably I would fall off the wagon and be back with my Sunday night rendez-vous with those PB&J sandwiches.

In January of 2008, when I started Pray it Off, I had no idea if it would work for me or for anyone else. I just blindly took God's hand and prayed "Lead and guide me, please." I realized, after a month or so, that hope, like anything else is a gift from Him. Not a gift for tomorrow but a gift for RIGHT NOW; THIS INSTANT.

As soon as you are done reading this Blog entry, tell yourself that you're not going to start tomorrow. START NOW. Have three meals, no snacks (try it for a week) and weigh yourself once a week. Get a pedometer and start walking. JUST DO IT NOW - tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, not even to Scarlett O'Hara. It's in God's hands. Hope is in his hands too and He's waiting to give it to each of us, we just have to reach out our hand and TAKE IT!!







PHOTOS FROM: http://zazazu.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/0_22_022207_clark_gable.jpg
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/b8/4g/fantastic-peanut-butter-jelly-sandwich-800X800.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment