Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pray It Off Meeting 5/20/10 6 Best Walking Workouts/Cobb Salad/Song WITH VIDEO



6 Best Walking Workouts for Weight Loss

Use these dynamic new ways to challenge your body and never hit a plateau.*
By the Editors of Prevention

The best exercise motivation is seeing and feeling the results. Simply getting active will help the average person look and feel better, but in order to continue losing weight in the long haul you need to challenge your body with the most effective workouts. Some ways to avoid hitting a plateau in your walking program include picking up the pace, going a new distance, and integrating strength moves to build muscle, maximize your metabolism, and burn more fat. Here are the six crucial routines every walker needs to guarantee lasting weight loss.

1. Interval walks

This type of routine involves alternating fast and moderate to easy bouts of walking, so you might walk for 2 minutes at a very brisk pace and then recover at a slower pace for 1 minute. (If you graphed your speed, it would look like a series of peaks and valleys). This type of pattern helps rev fat loss—you'll turn up your calorie burn by as much as 100 percent during your workout and afterward. It's best to vary the length of these workouts as well as the intervals themselves to keep your body challenged.

2. Toning walks

Using an exercise band while walking will help firm your upper body and boost your calorie burn. Building muscle is the best way to stoke your metabolism long-term. When Prevention tested exercise bands in a head-to-head competition with dumbbells and other popular strengthening workouts, we found that the bands delivered faster firming. Our band-users slimmed down and toned common trouble spots such as the belly, thighs, and butt by 30 percent more than women who did other types of strength training. Try carrying a light to medium resistance band while you walk and stretching the band overhead and in front of your body for 45- to 60-second intervals.

3. Long walks

Endurance training (about an hour at a moderate intensity) has been shown to keep your calorie burn revved for up to 7½ hours post-exercise. Long walks will help maximize results because there is a dose response to exercise; that is, the more you do, the greater the benefits you'll receive. These will likely be the slowest walks you do in the program.

4. Recovery walks

Active recovery is important in any fitness program. During a recovery walk, you should walk as if you're in a bit of a hurry, so that you're slightly breathless, for about 20 minutes. While they don't blast fat like intervals, these tried-and-true calorie-burners have an important place when you're trying to walk off pounds. They're the perfect workout in between vigorous interval days to keep up your calorie burn without risking an injury.

5. Speed walks

During these shorter workouts, you'll maintain a high intensity for the entire session, striding as if you're late for an important appointment, so you're only able to speak in very brief phrases. This type of training has been shown to specifically attack belly fat better than longer, lower- intensity exercise.
Avoid sprains and injuries with these yoga stretches designed for walkers.

6. Strength training

Adding strength training to cardio workouts improves results: It boosts metabolism, increases weight loss, and can even help you eat less. In addition to the toning walks that target your upper body, you should aim to do lower body, core, and total body strength routines 2 to 3 days a week after your regular walks.

*http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100256032

Cobb Salad*

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon
juice
1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
2 cups chopped red leaf or romaine
lettuce
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup thinly sliced cucumber, quartered
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped avocado
1 tablespoon shelled raw or roasted
sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons reduced-fat shredded
cheddar cheese
2 slices (two ounces) roasted
prepackaged or deli-sliced turkey (such
as Applegate Farms)
1 slice (one ounce) uncured prepackaged
or deli-sliced ham (such as Applegate
Farms)

Instructions:
1. Combine lemon juice, oil and dill in
small bowl. Season with salt and freshly
ground black pepper to taste. Set aside.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/04/30/cobb-salad


My Life Is In Your Hands by Kathy Troccoli



Life can be so good. Life can be so hard
Never knowing what each day
Will bring to where you are
Sometimes I forget
And sometimes I can't see
That whatever comes my way
You'll be with me

CHORUS: My life is in your hands
My heart is in your keeping
I'm never without hope
Not when my future is with you
My life is in your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in your hands

Nothing is for sure
Nothing is for keeps
All I know is that your love
Will live eternally so I will find my way,
And I will find my peace
Knowing that you'll meet my every need

CHORUS
When I'm at my weakest Lord
You carry me
Then I become my strongest Lord
In your hands

My life is in your hands
And though I may not see clearly
I will lift my voice and sing
Cause your love does amazing things
Lord, I know, my life is in your hands
I trust you Lord
My life is in your hands

No comments:

Post a Comment