Monday, May 3, 2010

The Rosary Workout



The three tenets of the Pray it Off (PIO) weight loss program are "Eat Less, Move More and Pray". Eating less and moving more are pretty self-explanatory but I've found that the word "pray" has a different definition, depending on who you ask.

Many people believe that prayer refers to the "Our Father", the "Hail Mary", the "Creed", "The Rosary" etc.

Prior to starting Pray it Off, I felt that "true prayer" was conversational which, to me, made it more intimate and therefore more powerful. I thought that "The Rosary", and other conventional prayers, could become repetitive and not lead to a true closeness with God.

For over two years I have investigated the WHY behind my desire to overeat. When I was at my heaviest, I had become overwelmed by the stresses of this world; this life. Before PIO I also had trouble sleeping at night and suffered from depression and anxiety.

As I reached out to God, I begged Him to close off the ricocheting negative thoughts in my head. Soon I found myself repeating the Hail Mary over and over again as I tried to fall asleep. It became easier and easier to drift off as time went on. I squeezed out the negative by filling my head with a plea to the Mother of Christ.

I got out my Rosary, revisted the "How to Say the Rosary booklet" and found such a friend in Mary. Jesus can never say no to His Mother. In every Marian Apparition she has invited us to say the Rosary for "peace". I always thought she meant world peace, but now I believe world peace grows from our own inner peace.

I realize now that there is a needed place in my life for "conventional prayer". It is easy to remember, to repeat; and filling my head with God's words, leaves no room for evil to creep in. This "inner peace", that God wants for me, is the first weapon I have against obesity.

PLUS, I now say the rosary for others and I truly believe it helps. I haven't stopped "talking" with God but I am now certain that all prayer is good prayer.

Someone asked me if the Pray it Off group does jumping jacks while we're reciting the Hail Mary and as I envisioned that, I thought, "Hey that's not a bad idea." In doing some research I discovered that Peggy Bowes beat me to it though. Her book, available in hard copy and as a E-Book, incorporates The Rosary and fitness. It's a PIO member's dream. Please check it out.

“Thus I do not run aimlessly!
I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing.
No, I drive my body and train it, for fear
that, after having preached to others,
I myself should be disqualified.”

-St. Paul, 1 Corinthians 9:26-27

"The Rosary Workout™, written by Peggy Bowes, a fitness expert and devout Catholic wife and mother.
• Part I includes a summary of the Rosary, its history, the significance of Rosary prayers, and its power as an intercessory prayer.
• Part II introduces the concept of the Rosary as Mary’s School and the importance of Mary’s role as advocate and teacher. You’ll learn about the Nine Choirs of Angels and their significance in Rosary prayer.
• Part III explains the scientific principles of exercise upon which the workouts are structured, along with information on nutrition and hydration.
• Part IV will prepare you, physically and spiritually, to begin the workouts. This section adds suggestions on how to start and commit to The Rosary Workout™ and how to handle setbacks.
• Part V contains the workouts, divided into Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced levels. Rosary graphics are included to clarify the workout instructions.
• 10% of each sale donated to St. Vincent de Paul to help the poor."




The Rosary Workout


Photo:http://www.tldm.org/tldmstore/PadrePioRosary2.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Yesterdy afternoon I had my first PIO phone consult and Eat Less , Move More and Pray is going through my mind now like a 'mantra'.!
    A good thing.
    I like to knit a lot(such a sedentary hobby), and figure if I can knit and say the rosary, then why not walk and say it. Ellen 's got me eager to walk now, and I ordered my pedometer last night!
    So many changes are in store...
    A VERY good thing.
    Have a wonderful day all..
    C from cyber table #10

    ReplyDelete
  2. cyber table 10! i love it. welcome and gratz on taking the first steps....the first of many on the path to improving your health! It really is as simple as those three steps. Good luck and again...Welcome!
    Christine(table 4)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but I have walked and prayed the Rosary often. Now that I am physically limited I pray it before going to sleep and as I am waking up in the morning. I trust that Mary accepts my offering no matter how imperfect. It is very soothing to think of her as my permanent mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the welcome Christine table #4!
    C @ cyber table #10

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your great post. You are a great inspiration.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in the power of the Rosary. I have seen what the Blessed Mother can do for us. She is very powerful! All we have to do is ask for her help, pray and be obedient. I also feel that conversations with the Lord and The Blessed Mother are important and intimate. What a great idea to walk and say the Rosary. We can offer up our prayers to people who need them. We all need prayers in our life time! Ellen it is true that when we fill our mind up with prayers, there is no room for negative thoughts. I like to say the memorarie over and over when I am stressed. I especially like the part that says, Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that any one who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. I personally place all my trust in Her! Pray the Rosary and watch what she can do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all for your wonderful input. It means SO MUCH to a Blogger to receive feedback. God Bless all of you!

    ReplyDelete