Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How Pray it Off Works

We meet once a week on Thursday at Holy Family. The church provides the space and the paper for the copies. The meeting starts at 6 pm sharp and gets out at 7 pm SHARP. I am a stickler for time. I get there between 4:30 and 4:45 to start the weigh-in's. The group now has 80 members and I try to weigh most of them before 6pm. Each participant fills out a food log that includes exercise and water consumption and that is handed in to me at the weigh-in. Without it, a member is not weighed.

At 6:00 we start with the Pray it Off prayer and then awards are given for losses in 10 pound increments. The phrase Praise the Name of Jesus is used for the first 50 pounds lost. For 10 you get a sheet that says Praise, then Praise the for 20 and so on until at the 50 pound level you get a framed image of Jesus with the whole phrase. Give thanks to the Lord is given for losses of 50-100 pounds and St. Pio Pray for Us for over 100.

Each week a chapter of the Bible is read at home and then we discuss it for five minutes. I call it a "Taste 'O the Bible". We relate the Word of God to our weight loss journey.

Then I give a presentation each week on a different subject or group of kindred subjects. For example, Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Worry, Offering up Suffering, etc. I believe that we have to address the "why" we overeat to make a change in our eating habits. Then there is a blurb on exercise and a recipe, or two each week. A packet is given out to each member each week. I will be putting most of that weekly packet on this Blog each Friday. I hit the high points in the meeting, then the group reads the full materials at home. We end this part of the meeting when I play a different Praise and Worship song each week, then we say, as a group, our Intercession to St. Pio. (Our group's patron Saint).

Once the "formal" part of the meeting is over at 6:35-6:40, the group breaks into their Small Group Discussions (each member sits at a round table with the same group each week.) I give out an Agenda for this discussion, related to the topics of the week. As they are meeting I weigh in those people that I didn't get to prior to the meeting. At 7:00 pm each table says The Hail Mary and the meeting is over.

10 comments:

  1. Keep it up Ellen and you and your crew will singlehandely eliminate the need for health care reform in this country as the word spreads. Very proud of ya. markk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark. I am passionate about helping others (and myself too) lose weight and keep it off!! Thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for you. Keep praying . It works. God bless you and your group.
    Rick Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  4. A facinating and indeed successful approach to weight loss. There is power in prayer! Keep up the great work Ellen! (Ric C)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick and Ric - Thanks for checking out the blog - please feel free to forward it on - I want to spread the word - God bless you both and the entire Class of '72! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Ellen:
    I can't tell you how proud I am of you---not only for your own health, but the help you are giving others. You look BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see you in person. Keep up the good work. And, I'll keep you in my prayers!
    Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! No pun intended...Truly fantastic and empowering! Way to go, Ellen! And may I add, "You look maaavelous"?
    Nancy Robinson Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha - thank you SO VERY MUCH for commenting - you are the best. I can't wait to see you too. 2012 will be here before we know it - 40 years!? WHAT??? And Nancy - thanks pal and please check out this spot! Love you both Ellen
    http://prayitoff.blogspot.com/2010/03/after-all-tomorrow-is-another-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the beautiful smile I remember. I'm so proud of you. Prayer can truly work wonders. Keep up the good work. Tom V

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tom!! I miss you and think of you so often. Thanks so much for reading the blog and your nice words - God is so good. Love the Class of '72 and you, Ellen

    ReplyDelete