Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pray it Off 11/15/2012 A Thanksgiving Prayer FOR JUST ONE DAY by Ellen M. McCauley




A Thanksgiving Prayer
FOR JUST ONE DAY
By Ellen M. McCauley

Dear Lord,

Hi, it’s me again.  This might surprise you, but I decided that for just one day I’m not going to ask you for anything; not for me and not for anyone else either.  I know this doesn’t sound like the me you know, and love, but I thought it was about time I took stock of everything you’ve already given me, and Thanksgiving seems a good day to do that.

I think I’ll start by thanking you for life itself; for making only one me, unique, unlike anyone who is or ever was.   When I stop to think, that really is something Lord, it makes me value all life even more.

Thank you for my parents.  I know no one is perfect but they always did the best they could; words fail when I try to express my feelings for them.  As a matter of fact I’m grateful for my entire family – those who are living and those who are with you now.  I think I understand why you had your son be part of a human family, for everything I know about love, I first learned at home.

I don’t know what my life would be like without the friends you’ve sent my way.  I have laughed with them, sobbed with them, even disagreed with them at times, but ultimately have loved them so very much – we’ve seen it all together – they’ve energized and soothed me, and each and every one has enriched me in their own special way.

I have loved my country even when it wasn’t the thing to do.  I can’t thank you enough for America - truly the home of the brave.  I will forever appreciate the priceless gift of life, which so many gave, so that I could live in freedom.

And speaking of freedom, thank you for free will. I think I finally understand why you gave us choice.  Love has meaning when we choose to give it freely. You want us to choose to do right, choose to love you and choose to believe, even when the path isn’t always clear and we don’t understand your plan for us.  I guess that’s what faith is.

                            I’m grateful for my church, the religious and the countless members who unselfishly do so much for so many.  I rejoice in the music that praises you and I feel your presence as you touch and nourish me.

Thank you too for the simple gifts that mean so much; a winning team, good music, hot showers, clean sheets, a book too good to put down, hot cocoa when there’s three feet of snow, spaghetti and meatballs, turkey and stuffing, loved ones around a table, the kindness of strangers, a faithful pet.  Oh, I can’t forget good health either.

But most of all I am grateful that you loved me enough to send your son, your only son, to die and rise again, so that I might have forgiveness and everlasting life in paradise with you and with all those who I have loved with every fiber of my being.  I am stronger, even in the face of darkness, because I know that this is true.

Lord, before I end would it be all right if I changed my mind and asked you for just one thing today?  Could you please remind me, for as time goes by I fear I might forget, to be thankful always, and not for just one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment