Friday, April 2, 2010

"Mother, I Make All Things New"


"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, (for) the old order has passed away. The one who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." Then he said, "Write these words down, for they are trustworthy and true." Revelation 21:4-5

My 14 year old, 6'2", Captain of the Football Team, son Vince asked if one of his good buddies could come over, after Lacrosse practice this morning, and spend the night. This friend is a super kid and my son has been on the receiving end of heaps of kindness and hospitality from his family, so even though it was Good Friday, I quickly said, yes.

For years, Vince and I have said the rosary, and contemplated The Sorrowful Mysteries, at 3:00 on Good Friday. This year his friend ("Yes that is the kind of young man he is.") joined us. As we recited the Hail Mary's, my mind focused on the Blessed Virgin, not as some unreachable Saint, but as one mother to another. My eyes filled with tears as I looked at my own beloved son, and a boy I'd be proud to call my own, and I felt Mary's pain so acutely.

For the past five years, we've added watching The Passion of the Christ movie to our Good Friday traditions. Vince was a little worried about his friend watching the movie with us. He said, it wasn't because of the realistic depiction of the suffering and death of Jesus, but he was afraid of how his friend would react to my loud weeping!

In the movie Mary flashes back on Jesus falling as a child, and we see her running to Him; holding and loving her son. Then we watch, as our Savior, bloodied and bruised, falls with the cross, and she is reaching out, once again, to her little boy as the man looks into her eyes and says, "Mother, I make all things new."

These words touch the very part of me that is Christ and I weep with pain and awed gratitude each time I hear them.* He suffered and died; His mother watched.

The three main tenets of the weight loss group Pray It Off are Eat Less, Move More and Pray. The praying aspect doesn't just include conventional prayers - it means actively turning our lives over (the good, the bad and the ugly) to a God who loves us enough to die so that we can be made new.

I know Vince's friend will understand if this thought, trustworthy and true, is enough to make me wail.

*Biblically these words are documented only in Revelation, but I have no trouble believing He could have said them on the way to His death and even if He didn't, they are still true.




Photo: http://itsmypulp.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/passion-of-the-christ.jpg

8 comments:

  1. Cannot watch that scene from the Passion without crying. There is something about a mother and Son.

    Beautiful reflections Ellen. You have helped make my Holy Week!

    Love you!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh D, thank you so much!! I love you too pal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking through boxes for my toaster today and found some pictures of the two of you (you and my mom). Didn't find the toaster, but smiled anyway. I think you are part of the reason my mom was such a great person, and a wonderful, funny mom. Oh, and this is yet another great post. Even if I didn't know you are her B&T friend, you'd remind me of her.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter to you, your family and all the pio members. I pray that I can develope the same traditions with my new baby as you have with Vince.
    Kathy D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, this Easter all I could think about was Mary. How amazing... Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby - Oh, how I love your mother. It is such a gift to share her with you. We made each other better by unconditional love and total acceptance. It didn't hurt that we each thought the other was the funniest person on the face of the earth. What a joy to have you read the blog and see her in it and in me - she will be my B&T in this life and the next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, Happy Easter - He is RISEN!! Your baby will be so loved and that is the perfect start to any tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen - It's because of Ev. Tou can imagine how Mary felt, when you hold her in your arms.

    ReplyDelete