Thursday, April 1, 2010

Join In The Banquet


"Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst." John 6:35

Our Church, Holy Family, gives us a "Catholic Lenten Calendar" every year, with a reflection for each of the forty days. Maybe, because I love to write, I'm one of those who always looks to see who pens the songs I sing or the words I read. So I checked the bottom corner of the calendar and noted that it was written by a woman named Julia DiSalvo.

I am now going to take this opportunity to send out a "Cyber Thank You" to her. "Julia, you have enriched my Lenten journey and thereby my life. Wherever you are, I thank you!"

Today, Holy Thursday, she titled the calendar entry "Join in the Banquet" and it reads, "When you are full of compassion for another, feast in the divine overflowing?"

Feast Nutrition Facts
Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0
Cholesterol 0
Sodium 0
Total Carbohydrate 0

I find when I, not out of duty, stress or obligation but unselfishly and willingly look out for the needs of others, my sister with MS, my aging Mom, my husband and kids, my Pray It Off group etc., I don't need to turn to overeating to fill me up. I feast on being loving and useful. This banquet completes and satisfies me.

Fr. Frank A. Pavone writes, “Human happiness and fulfillment are never found by pushing other people out of the way. They are found when we push ourselves out of the way. In this way Jesus proclaims that life finds its center, its meaning and its fulfillment when it is given up.”

Each time we attend Mass, we are participating in the celebration of The Last Supper; not a symbolic remembrance but a recreation. Except now, we are banquet guests in The Upper Room, sitting at that long table, eating the Bread of Life (Jesus), renewing the bond between God and us, His people. And when we drink His blood, death passes by our door.



Because Jesus, filled with compassion, said, "This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.", we have eternal life. This Holy Thursday, let's take a moment to join in the banquet and feast on that divine overflowing!

How right you are Julia DiSalvo.



PHOTOS:
http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/holy_communion.jpg
http://www.morethings.com/god_and_country/jesus/last_supper_davinci.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, how true it is, Jesus IS the bread of life and our physical hungers are just outward manifestations of our soul emptyness and hunger. If we could all just think of that BEFORE we reach for something to fill us momentairly.Linda V table 9

    ReplyDelete