Monday, April 5, 2010

Jean (Before and After)


Each Tuesday one, Syracuse, N.Y Pray It Off (PIO), group member's weight loss journey is highlighted on the blog. Today we hear from Jean.

"My name is Jean and I am 76 years young. If I ever made the right decision, other than marrying my husband, it was in January of 2009 when I decided to join the PIO group at my church, Holy Family in Fairmount. I called Ellen McCauley, the group leader, and she was so excited about the program that I felt I had to see what it was all about.

I was overweight and had exceedingly high blood pressure. My doctor had never suggested losing weight, probably due to my age, but I knew that I would feel better, and maybe lower that BP, if I could lose those unneeded pounds.

After the first Pray it Off Group Meeting, I wondered if I could honestly make the commitment to change my eating habits and exercise. It was clear that I would need to do both to accomplish my goal of losing, and keeping off, 50 pounds. At the begining of the third week I had already started to feel better, with a small weight loss. I wondered why I hadn't make the changes long ago. I guess intelligence does come with age! With Ellen's guidance it seemed so easy.

In June of 2009, I had a Doctor's appointment for blood work and a physical. Everyone at the office was amazed at my 20 pound weight loss and the improvement in my blood pressure and blood work. What a great feeling!

My first six month session ended in June of 2009 and by this time new clothes were in order. Thank you Lord and Ellen! I continued on for the next session in July of 2009. My goal was to lose another 20 pounds; maybe even 30. The energy was there to continue to exercise more and my eating habits had changed to the point that I was not constantly looking for the wrong foods. I could spend more time on the treadmill and on an exercise bike that I had acquired from the best leader in the world, Ellen! Even mowing the lawn and yard work now seemed enjoyable tasks.

By late summer I felt I was going to be able to reach my goal by year's end. I would need a whole new wardrobe by then. I was nearing 40 pounds off and I was thrilled beyond words. I did very well with menus, over the holidays and even treated myself to a few Christmas cookies.

I started the next session in January 2010 with a goal to lose 10 more pounds, which I accomplished by the end of February.

Ellen has a saying, "Once a PIO Member, always a PIO Member." I will always stay in the group as I know this is a must for me to maintain this 50 pound total loss. I can only accomplish this with God's help and the support and prayers of our group and Ellen. Everything in my closet needed to be done away with but that was a small price to pay for perfect blood pressure and a whole new outlook on life. I learned that if I were patient, my weight loss dreams could become a reality."

6 comments:

  1. Jean,
    Way to go! I loved your story.
    Especially, the beginning when you talk about being 76 years young and making the right decision by marrying your husband. You are a true inspiration. Thank you for sharing. Kathy D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an inspiration, Jean!You look fantastic and full of joy!
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice article and a job well done. I know Miss Jean worked very hard at this accomplishment. I'm so glad her blood pressure is much better and perfect; that means she'll be around for a long-long time - - Thank God. I am so very proud of her. Kudos to Miss Jean, now known as Miss Skinny.
    A great example that age means nothing when it comes to exercising and watching your weight - no excuses. God Bless Jean and her wonderful Instructor - who really inspired her. Char

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Jean! You look Marvelous! Gratz and thanks for the inspiration. Cya at the meeting.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fabulous! Congratulations Jean. I love your story and know you will keep it off.
    Judy PS If you didn't tell your age I would never have guessed :) You took off 10 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Jean!!! You look so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete