Saturday, April 17, 2010

For The Beauty of The Earth - Earth Day 2010


Forty years ago, I took part in the first Earth Day activities. I was a year older than my youngest child, Vincent, is now. I still have my original Earth Day button around here somewhere. (I wonder what that would go for on EBay?) It was a grass roots movement that took on a life of its own. That's why it worked, because ordinary people came forward to do something positive.

A group of Pray It Off members, joined by spouses and children, met this cold, rainy morning to carry on that tradition. We decided to clean the area around our church to support the Earth Day credo and get some exercise at the same time. It was more of a work-out than I had imagined! I never saw so many cigarette butts and gum wads! A lot of bending over and walking; I enjoyed every minute of it.

When we were finished and had piled up all the bags, one of the children George, said, "The earth is all clean now." We erupted in laughter but later I thought, wouldn't it be wonderful if that were true?

Maybe if ordinary people like us, continue to pass along the value of perserving God's gifts, to our children; beautiful children like, George, it might just become a reality before he has forty Earth Day's behind him.



For the Beauty of the Earth*

For the beauty of the earth,
for the glory of the skies,
for the love which from our birth
over and around us lies;
Lord of all, to thee we raise
this our hymn of grateful praise.




*Text: Folliot S. Pierpoint
Music: Conrad Kocher; Arr. by W.H. Monk

10 comments:

  1. Bob looks like the pied piper with all those kids trailing him... and I know I spelled that wrong. haha. Great shot of you Vince! Good work PIO friends! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA - it's Joe A. - kinda looks like Bob though. My Bob was the photographer and boss of Earth Day - he "volunteered". Can't wait to see you two - soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was growing up, caring for the earth and all life was called "stewardship" as in the parable of the steward. I often think about the Garden of Eden and take seriously my obligation to care for our two rescue dogs, care for the home and yard God has given us, and in general, try to be a good citizen. It's a shame that "stewardship" in parishes now only means giving money. It is so much bigger than that and I'm glad you all had a great time being good stewards on Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drove by at 2:00 - the place looks great! Thanks to everyone for making our parish facilities a look a little brighter even in this dreary weather! The Heart Walk was great but I am still cold!!! The Team Maggie Team raised $1500!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara - God Bless you for your stewardship and your outlook. Thank you so much for commenting. We are a fortunate group of parishioners, here in Syracuse, NY, to belong to a church (Holy Family) where so many do so much! Thanks again, I love hearing what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. D - THRILLED you thought it looked fab. God bless you, and everyone else, who participated in the Heart Walk - what a wonderful total for Team Maggie!! Praise God

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all had lots of fun and the kids are asking to do it again some time soon. Thanks for organizing, great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looked like you all had a good time cleaning up around our Church yard/area. Sorry it was such a cold, dreary day, but I think maybe it made you work a little faster to get it done. Great pictures, especially the one of Vince.
    Ellen, good program last night. I really loved the song you played, I thought it was just beautiful. I was thankful I made it through the meeting. Thank you for all your hard work and such a great job. God Bless you and your crew today for doing such a good deed, especially the Head Person - "BOB", who volunteered his position.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey gang! I woulda been there but I was walking in the sleet for the Heart Asscociation. Glad you had such a great turn out. Im looking forward to the next group outing, get together, meetup, adventure...whatever we call it! See ya Thursday if not before. Love ya
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nora - thanks so much for all you and your family did. Have to thank Pat E. who sent me the idea via email.

    Char - You are right - we got done in no time. I too was thankful you were there and lasted the whole meeting. Can't wait till Tuesday!

    Christine - God bless you and all who did the Heart Walk. Hopefully next year Earth Day won't be on the same day and we can do both!!

    LOVE YOU GUYS - El

    ReplyDelete