Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pray it Off 1/3/13 My First Sermon - There is a Light



Sermon 12/30/12 Ellen M. McCauley 


In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. When Jesus ascended to the right hand of God, He left us the Bible, His word, to guide us. Five years ago I decided to read a chapter each week and it has helped me immeasurably.

I’ve discovered a 2,000 year old book that is always fresh and new. His word, speaks to us where we are in our lives at that moment. And since we are constantly changing, the Word takes on new meaning each time we read it.

Today the first Sunday after Christmas we could find much to despair about in the world. The tragic shootings in Ct and outside Rochester NY; the fiscal cliff we are facing as a country, our own problems, illnesses and heartaches but what does the Bible, His word, say to us today in John 1? The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it. The darkness does NOT, can NOT overcome the light and love of Christ.

The day of the school shooting my daughter shared a song by Cyprian Consiglio with me. Let me read you the lyrics.

There Is a Light

There is a light that can overcome the darkness.
There is no darkness that can overcome the light.
Creator of unfailing light, give that same light to those who call you.
May our lives proclaim your goodness, our voices sing your praise forever!

Lord Jesus Christ, you are the true light of the world.
Give us courage, strength and grace to build a world of justice and peace.
May the light of the Holy Spirit dispel the darkness of our times.
Turn our hatred into love, our wars into the peace we so desire.

I vowed that tragic Friday to spend the rest of my life spreading the Light of our Lord Jesus Christ. I invite you today to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment