Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mother's Promise by Ellen McCauley

This is a Weight Loss Blog but I don't believe anyone will have a problem if I log an entry today that is dedicated to Mother's Day.

I thank God, every day, that my Mom is still alive and kickin'!! She's a character who spawned an even bigger character in me, and I love her more than words can ever express.

One day I tried to imagine what it must be like for those who have lost their beloved mothers and I came up with this poem.


A Mother’s Promise
By Ellen M. McCauley
Dedicated to my mother, Ellen, on Mother's Day

She promised she would never leave
You asked how that could be
She put her arms around you tight
Said listen close to me.

You’ll hear my laugh at happy times
When everything is bright.
I’ll be there too when times are tough
And hope’s as black as night.

I’ll come to mind through little things
The smell of just baked treats
Homemade sauce, hot casseroles
The feel of fresh washed sheets.

When you have to choose from right or wrong
You’ll think what I would do.
Then pray to God like you were taught
And the answer will break through.

Sometimes an old familiar song
Will give you a good chill
And I’ll be the breeze upon your brow
When you are old and ill.

Nothing can separate you from my love
It will always be us two.
Not time, not death, not anything
For I’ll live inside of you.

6 comments:

  1. HOW ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL AND TRUE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my mom, who's been gone almost five years, but is with me every day.
    Shae

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sending this beautiful poem. Yes, my mom is still with me a mom's love lives forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete