Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Esther (Before and After)


“Hi, my name is Esther and in two weeks I’ll be 82 years old. I never had a weight problem when I was younger. Then fifteen years ago I lost my youngest child, my beloved daughter Kim, after a twelve year battle with Wilson’s disease. I spent months away from home, as she went through two liver transplants and one experimental treatment after another. The stress, the hospital food, the end of my marriage and the anger and bitterness I felt towards God manifested, over time, in forty extra pounds.

Eventually a wonderful Catholic priest, Fr. Kennedy, helped me see that God wasn’t to blame for Kim’s death. At the same time, one of my own grandchildren reminded me that she had died on Good Friday, in the arms of Jesus. I knew then that I had to be strong, and go on, for the rest of the family, I went on but so did the weight. My blood pressure was so high I ended up on medication for it. Then I had to have a knee replacement, three years ago, because I could hardly walk, or bowl, which I love to do. After the replacement, I went to physical therapy. I worked out on six different machines, three times a week. I still wasn’t dropping any pounds but then again, I wasn’t eating healthy either.

Finally, I asked God to help me and He did! I kept seeing Ellen, at church each week, and after she started Pray It Off, she looked so great. I knew she was the one God wanted me to call. She told me I could join the group and in July of 2009 I did.

Ellen gives you the support you need and the beauty of Pray It Off (PIO) is that we also have table mates we sit with each week and mine are so great. They pray with you, for you and help you to keep going and never, ever give up. I now eat a little less and move a little more as I exercise, at the same facility where I had my knee physical therapy, at least three times a week. I also do all my own housework and am very active at Holy Family.

After being in the group for a few months, I had a Doctor’s appointment and let me tell you, he was shocked when he saw me. I had lost twenty pounds since my last visit. Then the next time he saw me I was up to thirty pounds off. Currently I am almost at my goal of losing those forty extra pounds!

My high blood pressure is gone and my Doctor said he might take me off the pills if I continue to keep the weight off. He was so proud of me and I told him about Ellen and the PIO support group and he thinks it’s just wonderful. It’s a nice feeling to get back into my smaller size clothes too. All my friends keep complementing me and God gets all the credit.

It’s not easy but what is? I’ve lived through far more difficult things than exercising or passing up a few cookies. I could have wasted the rest of my years in rage and resentment but through the kindness of my church, and the love of my family and friends, I’ve learned that at 82 years old, God still isn’t done with me yet! So I want to be healthy enough to do His work.

I will always stay with the group because with Ellen’s, my PIO friend’s and God’s help, I’m positive I’ll keep the weight off for good."

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your WL and thanks for sharing. I especially like the blood pressure coming down when the weight goes down too! You look fab!
    Thanks Be to God!

    at Table #10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Esther on your healthy self. God lifts weight from our shoulders, from our bodies and puts more love in our hearts when we reach out to him. Thanks for sharing. . . so many stories that give us strenght to carry on.

    at Table #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God lifts weight from our shoulders, from our bodies and puts more love in our hearts when we reach out to Him." WOW!!! Thanks Table #1!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Esther!! You are an inspiration!

    God bless!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super job! You look great!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job. Life isn't easy. You are showing us that there is no excuse. We should take care of and love ourselves. Its the only way we are any good for others. Gratz anad God Bless.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations Esther - how wonderful! I love that you said that at 82 God still isn't done with you yet. It is so nice to hear from other members on the blog because even though we have a great table (#5), we don't hear the other member's stories. So it is nice to hear from others on the blog. Donna is right, you are an inspiration to all of us!! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Esther, Your story is an inspiration. We all carry out crosses and what doesn't kill us makes us strong. You are a beautiful person inside & out. Linda V table 9

    ReplyDelete
  9. Esther --

    I can't tell you how proud I am of you and being the lucky one to often sit beside you in PIO. Could it be that Table 9 is really the magic table as Ellen describes it --what with the big losses between you, Linda and Jane?

    You continue to be an inspiration to me and to all in PIO. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your story.

    Love ya,

    Theresa
    Table 9 companion

    ReplyDelete