Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More Pray It Off History

I came home from the Parish Life and Worship Committee Meeting to tell my husband the good news that Pray It Off was approved and I told him, excitedly, that I already had my first member. He asked "Who?" and I quickly replied, "YOU!" Since then he has lost almost 60 pounds, is 10 pounds from his goal and no longer has high blood pressure or sleep apnea. Praise God.

The first group meeting was held in January of 2008 with a group of 28 people who really didn't know what to expect. Not only am I the creator and facilitator of the group, most importantly I am a member. 25 of us made it to the end of the six month trial period and even the three who left have rejoined over time. We lost 644 pounds in six months by eating less, moving more and asking God to help us.

Pray it off isn't a diet. Diet's do not work. It took me over 53 years to realize that. I fianally learned that I would have to watch what I ate and exercise for the rest of my life. Such a simple statement but so hard to grasp and consistantly accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment